Car Shipping to Japan
So, you’re moving to Japan, and you want to take your car with you? We don’t blame you. Japan is one of the world’s most popular destinations, both for tourists and emigrants. With its strong economy, rich cultural tradition, and excellent food, Japan attracts people from all origins and walks of life. If Japan has drawn you in for a short trip or a longer relocation, consider shipping your car there with Global Auto Transportation!
How Much Time Will It Take?
Time estimates vary based on the place we’re shipping from. We can give you a much more accurate estimate if you request a quote from our site!
These are some of our more popular routes to Japan:
- Los Angeles to Tokyo – 25-35 days – Cost Estimate
- New York to Osaka – 35-45 days – Cost Estimate
- Detroit to Yokohama – 35-50 days – Cost Estimate
- Note: for shipments originating from landlocked areas of the U.S., we will first need to ship your car to a port on one of the coasts. Find out about car shipping in your state here!
How Much Will It Cost?
The cost of your shipment varies based on a number of factors. Your origin and destination will change the cost of your shipment, as will the service you choose. It costs more to ship certain types of vehicles than it does others, so that affects your final price, too. It can even change based on the season! For an accurate estimate, get a free quote from our site.
How to Ship a Car to Japan
Shipping a car to Japan is easy with Global Auto Transportation! All you have to do is follow the steps laid out in our convenient online form. Here are the things that you’ll need to provide to us in order to ship your car quickly.
- Your point of origin and destination
- Information about yourself, including your passport number
- Vehicle information, including the VIN, title number, make, and model
- A full list of any items that you want to include in your car as it ships
- Whether you would like your car shipped via roro or container
That’s all we need! Our international shipping professionals will take care of everything else that goes into the auto transport process.
In order to ship a car to or from Japan legally, you’ll need to prove that your car is legal to drive in the destination country. You’ll also need to pay the relevant duties, although Japan does not require these for imports.
Note: for temporary (less than one year) imports or exports, all you’ll need to do is fill out a Carnet de Passage en Douane (CPD) form and send it to the Japan Automobile Federation. You’ll also need to list any drivers that will use the vehicle in Japan. Once they confirm your CPD, you’re good to import your car duty-free!
Popular Ports for Japan Car Shipping
With our vast network, our haulers can ship your car anywhere in Japan. However, there are only so many ports that we actually use for shipping. Below is a sampling of these ports and the cities that they typically serve. If you’d prefer to pick your car up at a port yourself, then you’ll go to one of the following.